The following prompt comes from the must-attend Be Writing Conference in Eugene, Oregon, presented by the WordCrafters writing group. It is a two part prompt and works best when done with a partner, though it may be done alone.
With your own character or select a personality or behavior characteristic from list one and a job description from list two and write about the resulting character using the prompt under these two lists:
- List One: Personality and Behavior Characteristic:
- Time Traveling
- Job Descriptions:
- Kindergarten Teacher
- Dairy Farmer
- Grocery Clerk
- Truck Driver
- Bank Clerk
Describe the following for your character, keeping it fairy concise:
- Description as if pointing to the person across the room.
- Where does this person spend the majority of their time and why?
- What is their deepest secret, something they might never tell anyone including their best friend?
The next step is to either do another character or do this with someone else.
Share your characters with each other described in one to three sentences.
Answer the questions:
- How would these two people know each other?
- How did they meet?
- What do they have in common?
- What is there relationship? Is it friend, acquaintence, co-worker, family?
- How does this relationship change your characters?